The new Life Skills for Life classes are here!
After asking you what you wanted I have designed a different way to attend a training course doing the things YOU want to focus on!
PLEASE EMAIL (email@example.com) ME ANY QUESTIONS BECAUSE THERE IS BOUND TO BE INFO I HAVE ACCIDENTALLY NOT INCLUDED.
The basic IN's and OUT'S of whats going on:
Each practical class is now 40mins in length - this keeps you and your dog more focused, as around the 40 minute mark most dogs are pretty much done.
There are 3 different classes running on Saturday mornings starting at 9am, 10am or 11am. Different classes are run over 7 weekends (aiming to increase this to 10 weeks after initial trial).
Classes are small in numbers to get the best results in the small time frame.
Each practical class is now based around a 'topic' or a 'concept'. They are:
- Basic foundation skills every owner needs their dogs to do
- Introduction to loose lead walking and how to get it
- Foundations behind the recall
- Enjoy the moments with your dog when walking the streets
- Introduction to the new dog sport 'Hoopers'
- Foundations to getting good manners at home
- Building the skills to get that 'Cafe' or 'Brewery' dog
To complete the Life Skills for Life training course you are required to complete the compulsory online theory lesson AND attend at least 4 of the practical training classes of your choice. You have control over when you are attending as you book yourself and your dog into the schedule which becomes available once the online component has been completed. You cannot book in for 2 consecutive classes on the same morning - it may suit your needs but it is not taking your dogs need for downtime into consideration.
THE VIDEO'S OF JEDDAH AND I, IN THE ONLINE LESSON...I KNOW I HAVE CHOPPED MY HEAD OFF... BETTER VIDEO'S WILL BE CREATED IN THE FULLNESS OF TIME! Ha Ha... please excuse the hilariousness of the video's!
To enroll you are required to make a $50.00 deposit after emailing me indicating you are ready to get the private link for the course to begin - this gives you access to the online lesson. Once completed and if you would like to continue to the practical classes the remaining fee of $200 is required and once payment is received you will be given access to the live schedule to book yourself in for 4 classes of your choice (you can pick the same class twice if you want to) - if you want to attend MORE than 4 classes an additional fee of $40 for each extra class is required.
Classes are not designed for anxious, fearful, troublesome behaviours or reactive dogs - a private consultation is recommended to help you and your dog achieve desirable results in these situations. Please discuss this with me if you are unsure if your dog falls into this category.
Now - here is the Nitty Gritty of what's going on:
Basic Foundation Skills every owner needs their dogs to do!
Dates and time: 27/07/19 @9am
Everyone thinks that they have these skills sorted - and some absolutely do! But to ensure that you can enroll in many of the other classes can your dog reliably do the following skills?
- Reliably respond to their name & give their handler their attention.
- Sit and/or lie down on cue and remain in that position (within reason)
- Offer you a behaviour that you can see, mark and reinforce
- Nose or paw target on cue (visual and/or verbal)
Introduction to loose lead walking and how to get it (There is a FULL 'Loosen The Lead' training programme that you may prefer)
Dates and time: 03/08/19@9am
Learn the foundations behind how to teach a dog to walk nicely on lead - Management, tricks on what to do and 'Connect the Dots!'
- Advise on appropriate equipment/harnesses/collars etc...
- Learn what options you have - each dog is individual.
- Putting the foundation skills into practice - learn by doing and learn by watching others.
Building the skills to get that 'Cafe' or 'Brewery' dog - Please note - NOT all dogs are suitable for being that 'Cafe/Brewery' dog we all desire.
Dates and time: 24/08/19 @8.30am, (Sorry guys, these times need to work in with when it's appropriate)
I understand more than anyone the desire to have the dog you can take ANYWHERE, to the shops, cafe, pub, outdoor dinning, community dog events etc... but I don't have a dog that enjoys those scenario's due to her emotional well-being being compromised. BUT there are dogs that cope easily and are stable in so many ways, they just need the right guidance from their handlers so they know what to do. We will be aiming to run part of this class AT a local cafe - coffee/tea/hot chocolate costs are required (to thank the cafe for having us), this is not a class for reactive dogs...
- Work on teaching your dog to settle on a mat
- Work on teaching your dog to settle when on lead
- Work on teaching your dog not to beg
- Things you can ask your dog to do whilst you are sitting in a chair
Introduction to the new dog sport 'Hoopers' (There is a FULL 'Hoopers' training programme that you may prefer)
Dates and time: 31/08/19 @9am
The newest Dog sport around town! A sport ALL dogs and owners can play regardless of age, physical ability & character (aka I will be running classes for reactive dogs to come and play too!).
- Get a taste of what's Hoopers is like
- Get your dog's Hoop value started
- Begin with Hoops, Barrels and Pinwheels
Foundations to getting good manners at home (This is not a neighbours complaining class - this does not cover 'barking', 'separation issues' or other 'anxieties' - those issues are 100% recommended for private consultations.
Dates and time: 31/08/19 @11.30am
Sometimes is hard to work on keeping a happy home life right?!?
- Work on teaching your dog to go to their beds and settling on cue
- Reduce the antics in the kitchen
- How to stop your dog jumping up on your guests
- Gaining good manners around dinner time
Enjoy the moments with your dog when walking the streets (This is NOT a loose lead walking programme)
Dates and time: 07/09/19@9am
Sometimes walking your dog can be a stressful event - between not stopping when you stop, not listening to you when they are on lead and eating 'stuff' off the street.
- Introducing the 'leave it' cue and how to train it
- Introducing the 'wait'
- Improving the connection - listening to each together on the walk.
Foundations behind the recall (There is a FULL 'Rebound The Hound' training programme that you may prefer)
Dates and time: 14/9/09 @9am
Understand what makes your dog want to come to you when you call them?
- Quick chat on why dogs don't come to you and how to change that.
- Hand targeting
- Introducing Games and making training easy and fun